Friend offers a great framework for developers. It allows you to develop apps that can run on any device - tightly integrating with the Friend Cloud.
Here are some of the main features in our framework that you may consider using in your applications:
- Powerful networking API using the Friend Network. Enjoy peer-to-peer communication directly between users. Use the Friend server node network to access processing power and reduce latency.
- Device agnostic GUI. Use HTML templates and Window Management with extensive themeability.
- File system API. Read and write to files using any of our supported file system drivers.
- Game engine. Use our object oriented classes to make entertaining games.
- Our virtual file system API, Dormant. Make use of DOS scripting and batch processing. Enable sharing of application functions over the network by turning your app into a virtual disk.
- Use our easy to use localization API to translate your application to the language spoken by your users.
- Easily implement support for text to speech for users who are visually impaired.
- Integrate with Friend by using our file dialogs. This way, users will be able to save and load their work on their cloud storage disks.
- Use our API to handle drag & drop between your app and the Friend Workspace.
- Integrate with the Friend mime-type subsystem to allow opening your app when double clicking on supported file formats.
- Use Friend's menu system to support pull-down menus for your applications.
- Create widgets for the Friend Workspace to extend your user's experience and allow them access to subsets of your functionality without having to launch your entire application.
- Take advantage of user levels and workgroups to amplify your collaboration features.
- Use system notifications to alert your user about important events in your application.
Other advantages for developers choosing Friend:
- Access an Integrated Development Environment in the cloud.
- Read the complete and always up-to-date Friend Developers' Manual online.
- Chat with other developers using Friend Chat – it supports multiple chat protocols. Even Slack!
- Instantly share your application with everyone on the internet.
- Make use of our multi-tasking desktop environment. Create groupware and applications that communicate and amplify each other by combining functionality.
- Friend Workspace can host your entire development workflow, and offers your users a complete environment for work and play.